Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Benefits of a Dry Sauna


A Dry Sauna Room
When you go to your local GYM, do you use a dry sauna? As the Journal of the American Medical Association stated, a bather in moderate condition who sweats off about 500 grams in a sauna nevertheless uses up some 300 calories - or the equivalent of running a couple of miles. The Journal went on to observe that while, yes, the water weight is regained once you rehydrate, the calories that were consumed in the sauna are not. As your internal body temperature rises to about 100.4° F during a 10-20 minute dry sauna session, your heart rate increases by 50-75%, and this beneficial and temporary fever works to draw out toxins, clean clogged pores, kill harmful bacteria and viruses, increase circulation and metabolism, and enhance the immune system.
I have personally experienced the benefit of a dry sauna. I suffered from rheumatic pain five years ago. I tried many different treatments, but they did not work well. One day, my doctor told me that the steam sauna is good for skin, and the dry sauna is good for joints. Since I felt so much pain in my fingers, knees, and elbows especially during rainy, cloudy days, I started to try the dry sauna. After trying it for a few weeks, I gradually felt less pain in bad weather. So I have kept going to dry sauna since then.  After two years, my rheumatic pain was totally gone. I still go to the sauna regually. If you have the same problem like I did, why don't you try a dry sauna? Even if you do not have the same problem like I did, it is really worth it to relax 30 minutes a day two to three times a week in the sauna room. You will feel a lot better.

5 comments:

  1. I rarely get to use a sauna because the places I have gone to work out, don't have them. But I do like both the dry and wet sauna. I noticed that dry saunas tend to burn my nose a little bit, do you have the same experience? Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dry sauna does have that problem, but after a few times sitting in a dry sauna room, you won't feel so any more. I started regularly using dry sauna five years ago. Since then, I visited Sauna twice a week; each time it took me around thirty minutes. At the beginning, I could only stay in sauna room less than five minutes then I had to go out to cool off and breathe because I felt my nose, chest and toes burned, and lost energy right away. I almost gave up the dry sauna, but comparing with the suffering from joint pain, it really was nothing. About two years visiting a dry sauna, my rheumatic pain was totally gone. I am using dry sauna twice a week now just for relaxation and losing weight. Occasionally when I saw someone putting towel on her face then I knew she must be new here….

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really appreciate you post about the dry sauna as I go to sauna twice a week. I go to gym 4 days a week. I would love to go to the sauna everyday but since I heard it's not good for your health when you are abusing it. However, I never knew the great effect that sauna would give for burning calories. I have a thought about the steam sauna, would it give the same effect? Thank you for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Amy. A sauna is pretty similar to mild exercise, it actually burns about 300 calories per average session (amazing, isn't it?). Not only that, the sauna also cleanses one's skin, improving blood circulation, and most importantly, it relaxes one's mind and body.

      Delete
  3. This is the reason many athlete used this to loose weight.

    ReplyDelete