Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Happy Memorial Day !

    In China,The Memorial Day is known as Tomb-sweeping Day. Cleaning the tomb and paying respect to the dead person with offerings are the two important parts of remembering the past relatives. Weeds around the tomb are cleared away and fresh soil is added to show care of the dead. The dead person's favourite food and wine are taken to sacrifice to them, along with paper resembling money. This is all burned in the hope that the deceased are not lacking food and money. Kowtow before the tablets set up for the dead are made.Today, with cremation taking over from burying, the custom has been extremely simplified in cities. Only flowers are presented to the dead relatives and revolutionary martyrs.     Unlike spending Memorial day in China, I drove to Vancouver and spent my Memorial time to tour Capilano Suspension Bridge (and some parks). This bridge was built in 1889; the 450 ft Long, 230 ft high bridge, originally constructed of hemp rope and cedar planks attached to Douglas-firs, is today made with pre-stressed wire cable attached to 118 ton anchors. I had a great time for visiting it. If you have not been here, I recommend you to visit it. I had lots of fun and took a lot of pictures.

4 comments:

  1. This slideshow looks incredibly nice!!!!!! I love the music too! Awesome!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of tomb sweeping day. in my home, we follow traditions associated with Judaism, and the yearly remembrance of the dead. That is, we recognize our loved ones who have passed on on the day they died. I often like the memorial candle for them, and I take times to think about their memory. Since most of my family were not actually buried, but cremated and spread around, there is no tomb to clean out. But I love the symbolism behind the act, and the respect it signifies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That commemoration in China is a really honorable celebration for those who lost their lives fighting in wars. Chinese people do nice job by cleaning out the tomb for those dead militaries. However, I went to Washington D.C, a couple of years ago and I saw all the names of those militaries that died during the Vietnam’s war written all along in a wall at Lincoln Memorial. I think that the way Americans take care of the veterans who die in wars is really pleasant and relevant because all tourists who go to Washington D.C and visit Lincoln Memorial can see the manes of those militaries that have died in casualties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That commemoration in China is a really honorable celebration for those who lost their lives fighting in wars. Chinese people do nice job by cleaning out the tomb for those dead militaries. However, I went to Washington D.C, a couple of years ago and I saw all the names of those militaries that died during the Vietnam’s war written all along in a wall at Lincoln Memorial. I think that the way Americans take care of the veterans who die in wars is really pleasant and relevant because all tourists who go to Washington D.C and visit Lincoln Memorial can see the manes of those militaries that have died in casualties.

    ReplyDelete